VU 2023 – July 5-7, 2023. Park City Library, Park City, Utah
The VU Symposium for experimental, electronic and improvised music will be held over three days in July 5-7, 2023 at the Park City Library in Park City, Utah.
The call for music, papers and presentations is listed below. This event is hosted in collaboration with Listen/Space, a 501(c)3 arts non-profit, The Florence J Gillmor School of Music at Westminster University, the Park City Library, and the Red Desert Ensemble founded by Katie Porter and Devin Maxwell.
CALL FOR WORKS, PAPERS AND PRESENTATIONS: The VU experimental, electronic and improvised music symposium. Our 2023 theme – “World On A Wire”
We are pleased to invite submissions for Vu 2023, an upcoming experimental, electronic, and improvised music symposium with the theme “World On a Wire”. Inspired by the groundbreaking television series directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder, this symposium will explore the intersection of technology, reality, and the human experience.
We are seeking submissions from composers, musicians, sound artists, and performers who are interested in exploring the theme of “World On a Wire” through the creation of experimental, electronic, and improvised music. We welcome submissions of original works, performances of existing works, papers or presentations exploring anything related to experimental, improvised, and electronic music, or combinations of above. Slight preference will be given to works that explore the theme.
Possible approaches to the theme may include, but are not limited to:
- Explorations of the relationship between technology and the human experience
- Reflections on the nature of reality and perception
- Investigations into the ways in which technology mediates our understanding of the world
- Interpretations of the television series “World On a Wire” and its themes
- Sonic experiments that blur the boundaries between the real and the virtual
- Ignoring the theme completely and doing whatever you want
We encourage submissions that take risks and push boundaries, and we are particularly interested in works that engage with improvisation, experimentation, and the use of new technologies.
The symposium will take place on July 5-7, 2023 at the Park City Library in Park City, Utah. Selected works will be performed live and/or streamed online, and will be documented for future release.
To submit a proposal, please send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A brief description of your proposed work, paper, or presentation (max. 300 words)
- A link to a recording or video of a previous performance, if available
- A short biography (max. 200 words)
- Contact information (name, email, phone number)
The submission deadline has been extended to April 1, 2023. Notifications of acceptance will be sent out by April 15, 2023. Please note that we are unable to provide travel or accommodation support for participants.
We look forward to hearing your ideas and exploring the theme of “World On a Wire” together.
Devin Maxwell, Chair
(This call was written by ChatGPT)